Making a Dalgona Matcha
Yip - we joined the Dalgona party & we are super happy that we did.
This is a fairly easy recipe to follow and will result in a lovely drink that will make your friends go "wow"!
- 2 Tbsp of Sugar (Our preference is less sweet, so we only use 1 tsp of Sugar)
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp of Matcha *
- ~200ml milk
* We used Wabi Matcha Haru - Ceremonial Grade Matcha. Likewise, Cafe or Wakasa would work too, you may need to add 1/2 tsp more.
- Add sugar and water to a small sauce pan and bring to boil on a medium heat. Simmer for 2 ~ 3 minutes; this will result in a syrup.
- Beat the egg white until it is a consistent texture and holds its shape.
- Slowly add the sugar syrup to the beaten egg whites, mixing as you go.
- Sift the matcha to the mixture, mixing as you go. Once mixed, this is your Dalgona Mixture to place on your drink.
- Add Ice to a glass and fill to just above the ice with milk. Scope the Dalgona Mixture on top.
- Sit back and enjoy!
As a side note, we did try making a vegan version of the Dalgona, using Chickpea juice from the can instead of egg whites. While the consistency was pretty good, the flavour was a definite 2 out of 10...so we wouldn't recommend it.